Thursday, August 27, 2009

stuff i've made this summer

When I went to the Golden Gate Fiber Institute at the end of July I took two classes: Spinning with Judith MacKenzie McCuin and Felting with Loyce Ericson. It was a wonderful experience and I learned a lot. It really got my creative juices flowing. When I came home I ripped everything having to do with fiber art out of the closets and organized it. I have a lot of stuff. When that was done I kind of didn't know how to proceed. In the past, I always wanted to draw or paint, and sometimes I'd get on a roll and turn out some acceptable work. But I'm just not patient enough to practice those skills very much and I felt frustrated. So here I was wondering what I would do with all of the tools but none of the direction I needed to start DOING. I don't know what happened, but I began (the 8 foot long folding work table I bought at Costco helped). Now I can't stop. I'm so happy. This is what I have always wanted to do. I've done a lot of dyeing, spinning, knitting, and felting. Julie came over one day and I taught her to felt. She's got the touch. I want to make some more felted scarves, finish knitting the 4 projects I started, and finish spinning the pound of wool I dyed to make a sweater.

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing how happy this makes you. That scarf is so so so so beautiful. You are very talented, mother.

    ReplyDelete